The Autism Community Project is a new initiative from The Autism Directory charity to engage with and provide support to the autism community, initially in two local areas – Caerphilly and Rhondda Cynon Taf, with the view to rollout to other areas.
As a charity we already provide a directory of autism services and this Community Project builds on that support by recruiting part-time Autism Coordinators to provide individual and specific support to the families and support groups in these areas – essentially its about connecting the autism community together in local areas and providing support to help them get the help they need.
The objectives of the project are:
- To provide face to face help, support, advice and signposting to individuals and families living with autism in the specified local area.
- To connect with the support groups that already exist in the local area and provide workshops for the people they support on various topics (eg sleep, anxiety, puberty, eating, behaviour etc) that are specific issues those living with autism need help with.
- To train local organisations in autism awareness and understanding so that the community have better access to the services they need (eg doctors, shops, leisure centres etc). This training will include those with autism from the local communities helping us to deliver it, which also provides them with experience and confidence to progress this after the project.
- To run Job-clubs in the local areas for adults with autism to get job-ready and support for them to find employment. This is an 8 week course (3 hours a week).
- To bring the local autism community together so that after the project has completed there is an ongoing support network in place that sustains itself for the future. We will continue to support this local network as part of our ongoing work we do as a charity under our ‘Partnership’ programme
In each local area the emphasis will be to support and develop the autism community to create an ongoing network to be able to provide self-help within that network with the information, advice and training that we will provide. This will be different in each local area and be very much down to what already exists and how the community themselves want to go forward. After the project we will also continue to provide support with our helpline and ‘Supporter Care Team’ so the community won’t be completely left to help themselves.
During the project we will also run 4 workshops and 4 training sessions in each area with the involvement of those in the community. These will be for the benefit of the individuals and families, and also for the wider community with the increase in autism awareness through local awareness campaigns.
We are so proud to say that the project in Rhondda Cynon Taf and Caerphilly is funded by Big Lottery and the National Lottery Players.
If you would like to get involved in this project please complete the form below – you don’t have to be in RCT or Caerphilly as we will be moving into other areas in 2018 so will keep you informed when we will be launching the project in your area.